Thursday, July 31, 2014

Finishing my rayons


Yellow and blue together

Now I need to decide what to do with them

Monday, July 28, 2014

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Still spinning...

First I span my rayons in small portions. Piece of yellow combined with piece of blue for one single, and than green and white for another single.

And then I plied everything together.

Did not really like it. So, decided to sping each colour separately and then will see what to do next.

Meanwhile, learning to support spin. I did not have any support though, just my leg and sofa...

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Spinning wheel practice

I was very pleased to receive a complimentary bag of alpaca sliver with my Louet s90. And as it was free I could learn spinning with second thoughts :-)
For the first exercise I span one thick and one thin single and then plied them together. The major problem as I see it was not enough twist, but I am learning.

Another training. Today I've bought some rayon fibers to learn how to spin synthetic ones. To make the task interesting, I bought four colours in hope to combine them in the process. So far yellow and blue. I suspect I still give less twist than necessary. Will see...

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My pet project

Could not believe that my growing-strawberries-from-tiny-seeds project will be successful until I finally tasted one baby berry :-) And although it was not the best strawberry I've ever tasted, it was the best one grown on a window sill. (There are two different types, even though they look very similar).

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Spinning singles

With the pink top I decided to try my luck to spin thick singles. It was fun and the result looks like dessert!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Blue rag rug

My first rag rug was supposed to be woven from fabric strips. But I could not dare to cut five yards of cotton I bought at specially for this purpose. Some of the fabric was used for terry towelettes. The rest is stashed.

For this rug I bought some blue-grey T-yarn similar to Hoooked Zpagetti.

Project details:
Warp - thick sewing thread in black, red and lilac (doubled).
12" heddle sleyed every other hole giving around 5 epi

Weft - T-yarn in dark blue, blue and gray.

Regardless all my efforts and constant use of the temple, the edge turned out weavy. Partially I blame the yarn as each colour had a different degree of elasticity.
On the whole I am happy with the result - the rug is very thick and soft and spongy!
Finished size - 185 x 59.