Friday, May 10, 2013

Wool plaid scarf. First year with Schacht Flip rigid heddle loom 1/9

I was dreaming about a loom since I saw Schacht Flip rigid heddle loom in WEBS waving catalog.
In December 2011 the dream finally came true. My first ever loom arrived.

I did not know yet how to use it but still I decided to give it a try not with some easy sample but with something that could really be used in case of a success.

This was supposed to become a scarf for my husband. I tried to duplicate the plaid of his old well-used one.
I warped the loom with some knitting wool yarn I found in a local store and my adventure began.
I carefully calculated the warp length for a 1.30 m scarf - 2.30 m. and put it into 12 epi reed.















And I started to weave. It was rather easy and fun.
I was weaving, and weaving, and weaving....
1.30 m later I realized that I still have some warp left. I did not want to wast it, so, I was weaving and weaving more until I could not weave anymore. After all it was just a practice scarf.
Finally, when I finished, I ended up with 1.75 m scarf (without fringe).
I was very happy and proud of myself, but somehow I forgot to take a picture of the finished piece.

Here is how it looks now. The yarn was not if very good quality, it was a tiny bit scratchy and after washing dark colors bled immensely changing white and yellow into something quite different. But it was a good practice and one year later I produced another scarf with the same pattern to replace this first attempt.
Finished December 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment